American highways are often jam-packed with commercial vehicles and tractor-trailers.
Due to the tremendous difference in size between a car and an 18 wheeler,
an accident between these two vehicles can cause incredible devastation.
Fortunately, there are several things you can do to stay safe on the roads
and reduce your chances of being involved in a
1. Stay out of a truck’s blind spots: Trucks have much larger blind spots than other vehicles due to their immense
size. These areas are located on both sides and directly in front and
behind trucks. If you are traveling near a truck, try to spend as little
time as possible in these areas to increase your visibility. As a general
rule of thumb, if you cannot see a truck’s mirrors, the driver cannot
see you either!
2. Keep yourdistance: Make sure you give trucks a fair amount of room on the highways and try
not to drive too closely. While smaller cars can stop relatively quickly,
trucks require a much larger distance to come to a complete halt. Keep
this in mind when driving in front of a big rig.
3. Do not try to pass a truck that is turning: Trucks make wide turns. If you try to pass an 18 wheeler while it is turning,
you can greatly increase your risk of being involved in a collision.
4. Adhere to traffic laws: Driving in a predictable manner can help truck drivers anticipate your
moves and compensate accordingly. Do not speed, cut off other drivers,
or make reckless maneuvers. If you are trying to pass a truck, always
pass on the left side.
5. Compensate for adverse weather conditions: High winds, rain, snow, fog, and darkness can create additional dangers
on the roads. Under these conditions, reduce your speed and take extra
care when making turns to reduce your chances of losing control.
Injured? Contact Michael J. Doyle, Attorney at Law
If you have been injured in a truck accident caused by driver negligence,
you may be entitled to recover monetary damages for your suffering. At
Michael J. Doyle, Attorney at Law, our firm’s highly skilled Albuquerque
truck accident lawyers are prepared to use their 10+ years of
personal injury advocacy experience to represent your interests in court and help you
pursue a fair settlement for your injuries. Best of all, if we are not
successful, you will not pay us a cent in legal fees!
You have nothing to lose – get started by calling our office today
at (505) 219-2176.