Skip to Content
Michael J. Doyle, Attorney At Law Michael J. Doyle, Attorney At Law
Free Consultations 505-219-2176

How Long Do I Have to File an Injury Claim in New Mexico?


Dealing with the effects of a personal injury case can consume your life and demand much time and energy. (The more serious the injury, the more true this becomes.) It can be a long, drawn-out process just to deal with the medical, health-related consequences of any of the following categories of personal injury:

  • Car accidents
  • Motorcycle accidents
  • Truck accidents
  • Bicycle accidents
  • Medical malpractice and surgical never events
  • Wrongful injury, illness, and/or death
  • Brain and spinal injury
  • Slipping and falling in an unsafe walkway
  • Dog bites or other animal attacks

Any of the above can require hospital stays, doctor visits, trips to see specialists, surgeries, communicating with your healthcare provider, and more. Before you know it, months can go by without any progress toward righting the wrongs committed against you. If you wait too long, taking legal action to receive fair compensation for damages becomes impossible.

You only have a certain amount of time to file your personal injury claim in the state of New Mexico. According to the New Mexico statute of limitations, Chapter 37, Article 1, Section 37-1-8, you are given 3 years from the date of your accident to file a personal injury claim. However, if you wait until too close to the 3-year mark, you may not be able to file a claim; it will be at the court’s discretion to determine whether or not it can hear and resolve your case within a reasonable amount of time after the 3-year point passes.

If you have sustained an injury, your chances of proving that third-party negligence or recklessness was the cause will be significantly greater if you take prompt legal action. Don’t wait to take the first step toward healing and resolution by getting in touch with our Albuquerque personal injury lawyers at Michael J. Doyle, Attorney At Law.

Call us at (505) 219-2176 or contact us to receive a free case evaluation today.