Notice: Our staff is working without interruption during this time. Please do not hesitate to call, email or chat with us.
Call Today 505.219.2176
How Long Do I Have to File for Worker's Compensation?

How Long Do I Have to File for Worker's Compensation?

If you have recently been injured in a workplace accident, it is imperative that you notify your employer of your injuries right away. Our Albuquerque workers’ compensation lawyer explains the deadlines associated with filing a work injury claim.

How to File a Workers’ Compensation Claim on Time

One of the first things to do after a work accident is to notify your employer. This must be done within fifteen (15) days of the incident. In the event you have contracted a work-related illness or condition that developed over time, notify your employer within fifteen days of your medical diagnosis instead.

This is done by filling out an official Notice of Accident form, which you can request from your employer. This notice must be submitted in writing, and include details regarding the time, place, and circumstances in which your injuries occurred. Both you and your employer need to sign and date this document. If this time period expires and you have not yet informed your place of work, you may lose your right to collect worker’s compensation benefits.

In addition to informing your supervisor, it is important that you promptly seek medical treatment. If you need emergency care, head to the nearest emergency room or call 9-1-1 as soon as possible. If emergency care is not needed, you should check with your employer regarding treatment before heading to the doctor for a medical exam—they will refer you to a specific doctor who handles treatment under their workers’ compensation insurance.

It is important that you begin keeping records of anything related to your accident, including:

  • Names of doctors who treat you
  • Medical invoices and receipts
  • Dates of missed work
  • Any witnesses to your accident
  • Other relevant documentation and correspondence

If your workers’ comp claim is approved, you should be contacted by someone from your employer’s insurance company. This person will be your claims representative, and they will be responsible for determining your level of compensation and securing timely payment.

If your claim is disputed, retaining powerful representation from an experienced workers’ comp lawyer in your area is imperative to helping you secure the compensation you deserve.

Injured at Work? Call (505) 219-2176">(505) 219-2176

If you have suffered an injury in the workplace only to have your claim denied, an Albuquerque workers’ compensation lawyer can advocate on your behalf and maximize your chances of securing a fair settlement for your injuries. Our founding lawyer, Attorney Michael J. Doyle, can use his 15 plus years of dedicated legal experience to give you the edge in the courtroom and tenaciously defend your rights. Best of all, we offer no-risk representation by accepting our cases on a contingency basis, meaning that if you do not get paid, we don't either.

Request a free case evaluation today to get started towards retaining results-driven representation.


Contact Michael J. Doyle

Get Started With a Free Initial Consultation
    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.